[osg-users] OSG-based excavator simulator

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Tue Apr 19 08:41:34 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up about a prototype project we
worked on lately, and which I think looks great. There's a video of it
on our YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/vortexsim#p/u/1/RhJR0qQJfAQ

(set it to 1080p if you can)

We did that demo in 3 weeks (2 people for graphics and physics
programming, one modeler for the excavator model).

Quick list of effects specific to this project:
- Normal mapping
- Specular mapping
- Reflection mapping
- HDR (using osgPPU)
- Soil uses hardware instancing for the many small rocks
- Mound of earth uses vertex texture fetch to render the height field
(displace vertices, calculate normals in vertex shader)
- Dust particles rendered with soft particle technique (depth buffer
test) to avoid hard edges

It's the most GPU-intensive simulator we've ever done, and it looks
great, and it's OSG-based, so I thought I'd show it to anyone who's
interested. :-)

While you're on our YouTube page you can have a look at the other cool
things we've done in the past, the offshore and port crane simulators
are recent projects and are very nice as well (and they use osgOcean :-) ).

http://www.youtube.com/user/vortexsim#p/u/9/KBGr74TMTrU
http://www.youtube.com/user/vortexsim#p/u/0/dZeQ-eBrBDk

Thanks,

J-S