[osg-users] [3rdparty] Cloud node kit

Muhammed Kalkan kalkanikbal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 23:53:14 PDT 2011

Hi,

I have been looking for a cloud nodekit or opensource library to use with OSG. Is there such library available ? What i want to achieve is to have volumetric clouds, layer kind of clouds and lightning effect.

And i have a couple of questions,

I am learning GLSL and i know that we change rendering pipeline default capability to obtain awesome effects. But i have a few questions that i cant find their answers anywhere

1- Do we use GLSL for computing aswell? Or sould we use OpenCL or CUDA for computing?
2-I still cant figure out when to use GLSL. I mean sometimes we dont use shading languages but again obtain nice effects. For example i cant decide if a GLSL code must be used for a cloud lightning effect (I mean if do we need one or not). Is there a source that you can direct me to learn these differences and get a grip of GLSL concept more deeply?At least i want to be able to decide and say "hmm we use GLSL here or we dont".
3-Can we create procedural models (like animated grass) by using GLSL. I remember GLSL cant create vertexes but to modify them. Cg could do it ?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Muhammed

Read this topic online here: