[osg-users] [build] XP VS2008 Lost References

Tom Appollo tappollo at harris.com
Tue Apr 5 09:05:55 PDT 2011

I am running OSG 2.8.3 (latest stable build) on XP compiled in VS2008.

My application is using a GraphicsWindowEmbedded object.
Here is the code snippets pertaining to it.

In the .h file:

Code:
osg::ref_ptr<osgViewer::GraphicsWindowEmbedded>   theGraphicWindow;

In the .cpp constructor:
   theGraphicWindow = new osgViewer::GraphicsWindowEmbedded(0, 0, width(), height());
// where width() returns 1020 and height() returns 720
cerr<<"Checking references to each of theGraphicWindow parts:"<<endl

<<"   theGraphicWindow: "<<theGraphicWindow->referenceCount()<<endl

<<"   EventQueue: "<<theGraphicWindow->getEventQueue()->referenceCount()<<endl

<<"   GUIAdapter: "<<theGraphicWindow->getEventQueue()->getCurrentEventState()->referenceCount() << endl;

The cerr output is:

Checking references to each of theGraphicWindow parts:
   theGraphicWindow: 1
   EventQueue: 4502986
   GUIAdapter: 4552084

Shortly after the constructor, on another start-up call my application makes a call:

Code:
theGraphicWindow->getEventQueue()->windowResize(0, 0, width, height);

And at this point the application crashes.
I've instrumented OSG to get some output and the actual line at which the crash occurs is simply the first assignment statement to one of its
class variables:

_windowX = x;

within GUIEventAdapter::setWindowRectangle(int x, int y, int width, int height, bool updateMouseRange).

Tracing the construct down to that level:

GraphicsWindowEmbedded::public GraphicsWindow

GraphicsWindow
   contains
     osgGA::EventQueue _eventQueue;

  In its constructor:
      GraphicsWindow() { _eventQueue = new osgGA::EventQueue; _eventQueue->setGraphicsContext(this); }

EventQueue
   contains
      GUIEventAdapter _accumulateEventState;

   In its constructor:
          _accumulateEventState = new GUIEventAdapter();

GUIEventAdapter
   contains
      int _windowX;
      along with the other event tracking variables.

So, judging by my output, it seems as though the GraphicsWindow somehow loses its reference to
the EventQueue as a check of the referenceCount() seems to be garbage.

I did check the referenceCount to _accumulateEventState after it is created in the EventQueue
constructor and it is set at 1 which indicates it appears to be okay.

I have these same code sets (my application and OSG 2.8.3) built in VS2003 and do not have this
issue but other libraries force me to move on to VS2008. The output from the VS2003 version is:

Checking references to each of theGraphicWindow parts:
   theGraphicWindow: 1
   EventQueue: 1
   GUIAdapter: 1

Are there any suggestions as to what might be missing or changes that I'd need to the OSG build?

Thanks for your time,
Tom

Read this topic online here: