[osg-users] ATI driver quality?

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Tue Apr 5 10:07:54 PDT 2011

  I'm projecting to get a new development system in the next year or so, which means about
6 months of planning before I buy something.

  I've been on Nvidia for the last few years, and have been mostly happy with the driver
support, but I'm looking toward ATI/AMD again because NVidia's OpenCL 64-bit FPU
performance is allegedly crippled in their latest consumer hardware, putting it in a
severe disadvantage against rival parts from AMD:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/6

  My main concern with AMD/ATI is the poor quality of drivers I've experienced in past
years. I run Win7/64 right now. Can anyone weigh in on the recent quality of these drivers?

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. Xenon at AlphaPixel.com http://www.alphapixel.com/
  Digital Imaging. OpenGL. Scene Graphs. GIS. GPS. Training. Consulting. Contracting.