[osg-users] G++ version problem

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 00:51:03 PDT 2011

Hi Grahame,

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Grahame Bowland
<grahame at fugro-fsi.com.au> wrote:
> Thanks very much, that was it! gcc-4.4.3 was failing the
> _OPENTHREADS_ATOMIC_USE_GCC_BUILTINS test, which succeeded for 4.5.2.
> That changed the "Atomic" header file, which presumably changed the size
> of a bunch of important classes.
>
> Making sure that test fails solves my problem.

So binary compatibility for the build was the issue, although not
directly due to gcc build binary incompatible libs, but different
choosing different implementations on the OSG side.

The gcc _OPENTHREADS_ATOMIC_USE_GCC_BUILTINS test should pass for both
gcc 4.4.3 and 4.5.2.  I used plenty of gcc versions prior to 4.4.3 and
it worked fine.   I'm currently using gcc 4.4.5 on this system and it
pick up on _OPENTHREADS_ATOMIC_USE_GCC_BUILTINS fine.

This make me wonder why your build with 4.4.3 isn't picking up on the
atomic support correctly.  Has anyone else had problems with picking
up on the atmoic support?