[osg-users] Barenaked FBO-based-Viewer without window

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Fri Apr 8 14:54:30 PDT 2011

Hi Chris,

>    Unfortunately with the FBO, I always end up with something onscreen. Either a fullscreen
> display or if I use setUpViewInWindow I get a window. I don't know how to get a completely
> non-visible FBO.

An FBO is not a context - it's an object that uses an existing context
to do its work. So you need an existing context to be able to use an FBO.

Contexts can be one of 2 flavors. Either onscreen (GraphicsWindow) or
offscreen (pbuffer).

Using FBOs is actually orthogonal to using pbuffers. You use pbuffers
when you need a context that will not show up onscreen...

Does your OpenGL code set up a context of its own? You could just use
that context and set up your FBOs in that. I think
GraphicsWindowEmbedded might work for that, or perhaps others can
suggest a better way.

In any case, to use FBOs you need a context, one way or the other.

Hope this helps,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/