[osg-users] OpenGL 3.1 at GDC

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 09:28:13 PDT 2009

Hi Ralf,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 5:08 PM, R Fritz <rfritz at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> That would be a substantial improvement for more complex models and
> walkthrough--it is no fun to wait for your software to catch up with your
> mouse.  If it can be done without affecting the model editing capabilities
> of the program, I'd say it would be worth the trouble for Google to
> undertake.
>
> BTW, AutoCAD is not primarily a 3-D program.  The Autodesk programs to
> critique would be Revit, 3D Studio, and Maya.
>
>  There is the wider issue of if the can't write to OpenGL fast paths such
>> as vertex arrays that has been the mainstay of good OpenGL programming for
>> the last decade then there is likely to be a whole raft of other issues that
>> a bit of good 3D graphics knowhow could improve upon, this is when you might
>> see real usability/productivity gains.
>>

> Please, would you offer references?  Or at least code to study?  (If you
> say just study OSG, OK.)

I have enough OSG work on my plate without coding stuff outside of OSG, so
I'd have to point to OSG examples or other OpenGL examples online.  Writing
efficient OpenGL applications is a quite well published topic so not one
that we should need to add to much too.  Perhaps just collating links to all
the various articels/papers on the topic would be a place to start.