[osg-users] Getting model's direction vector from MatrixTransform?

Ümit Uzun umituzun84 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 06:30:05 PDT 2009

Hi Paul;

Thanks for your reply. I have tried your suggestion but there is some wierd.

        carMT->computeLocalToWorldMatrix(carWorldMatrix, NULL);
        carDirection = carWorldMatrix * osg::Vec3d(1.0, 0.0, 0.0);

This code gives me the direction vector, but vector gives me the mirrored
direction by the x axis. I mean when I rotate my car 45 degrees around the Z
up, given direction vector as -45 degrees rotated around the Z. So I get the
mirrored coordinates.

Best regards,

2009/3/30 Paul Martz <pmartz at skew-matrix.com>

>  The upper left 3x3 of the local to world matrix is the orthonormal basis
> for the current orientation of the car. If the car is modeled so that the
> front of the car is positive X, then the current direction vector is just
> the first three elements of the local to world matrix. You can get the local
> to world matrix from the MatrixTransform.
>
> Paul Martz
> *Skew Matrix Software LLC*
> http://www.skew-matrix.com
> +1 303 859 9466