[osg-users] OpenGL 3.1 at GDC

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Sun Mar 29 14:08:42 PDT 2009

> I think I can concur with this - I had the "pleasure" to work with AutoCAD
to get
> some CAD models exported so that they can be visualized in OSG and the 3D
> "rendering" they have in there is about the crappiest, slowest and most
user
> unfriendly I have ever seen. Even Doom 1 in 1993 was working better than
what
> they are selling as top-of-the-line feature now.

I guess I'm not too surprised. There seems to be an overall lack of
expertise in 3D graphics. Lots of people practice it without adequate
training or education. Ever look at a GL capture of SketchUp? It's utter
crap, glBegin/glEnd all the way. This is what passes for professional 3D
graphics these days. It's no wonder people are so uninformed about the facts
regarding 3D APIs.

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC
http://www.skew-matrix.com