[osg-users] Windows 7 beta: "The binary is not a valid Windows image."

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Sun Mar 29 09:18:00 PDT 2009

Hi Gordon,

> Past experience suggests  that typically under Microsoft this will be
> problematic

Between Windows versions? Any executable I have seen can be run on
Win2k, WinXP and Vista without problem. I haven't tested with something
compiled on Windows 7, but I don't expect any trouble.

But I can already say that OSG executables and DLLs compiled on Vista
run fine on Windows 7. I've tried that. It's the other way around
(compiled on Windows 7, run on something else) that I haven't tested yet.

> And don’t forget Windows 7 is early beta code which will add to the
> issues of binary compatibility etc.

Binary compatibility is a problem between compiler versions, not between
Windows versions. A .lib compiled with VS2008, linked to an .exe
compiled with VS2005, will have binary compatibility problems. But
between Windows versions? I don't think I've ever seen a problem there.

(apart from non-true-win32 versions such as Win95, 98 and ME... but
barring these, executables should work on Win2k, XP, Vista, 7 without
problems)

Anyways, I'll test to be sure and report back.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org/