[osg-users] OpenGL 3.1 at GDC

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Fri Mar 27 19:13:45 PDT 2009

Hi Hannes,

What you say about the financial side is true, that's how most of the
business types think in the games industry, but I think that will
change. How long has WOW lasted? What about Warcraft 3, StarCraft,
Diablo 2? Those are long-lasting games, which are by no means perfect,
but which can still run today (and on modest hardware) and which still
sell quite a few copies. Note also that most of these (apart from all
being from Blizzard, which is a member of Khronos) have OpenGL versions
to run on MacOS at least, if not Linux.

I think longevity of games will become more and more important. And on
the PC, most gamers want to replay their games. Console gamers are more
fickle and will sell their used games to buy new ones. This can be
attributed in part to the fact that new consoles come out every 2-3
years, while the PC has a more gentle evolution and can at least have
some backwards compatibility.

About this:

>> Highlights of Autodesk Inventor OpenGL to DirectX Evolution from
>> “Norbert” - Autodesk Inventor Graphics Team

That's mostly rubbish. They have to "use OpenGL almost on the level of
1997 graphics"? Their offscreen rendering cannot match onscreen
rendering with OpenGL? OpenGL doesn't work identically on x64 as on x86?
They need 1000$ or 2000$ cards for OpenGL?

They just don't know what they're doing and are blaming it on OpenGL.
That's my 2 cents on that quote.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/