[osg-users] VRML Normal Issue

Ben Axelrod baxelrod at coroware.com
Thu Mar 26 13:35:36 PDT 2009

But normals per primitive or per vertex are 'global' for the entire shape.  Aren't they?  The crease angle is a 'local' feature so that you can have a shape with some smooth and some sharp edges.

Can normals per primitive and normals per vertex both be used in a single shape?

If not, the only way I can imagine having a shape with some smooth and some sharp edges is if there is one normal per vertex per face.  Just like the diagram in the VRML spec shows, if a vertex has 2 faces connected to it, it needs 2 normals for a sharp edge, and either 1 or 2 for a smooth edge.

-Ben