[osg-users] [3rdparty] osgModeling 0.1.1 released - subdivision supported

Steve Gifford steve.gifford at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 15:51:29 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Martin Beckett <mgb at mgbeckett.com> wrote:
> http://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/sd/ is a streaming implementation of a 2/3D mesh generation (by the same team as Triangle).
>
> It uses the fact that most point data is highly localised and so works on tiles individually then stitches them together, it streams points from the app and streams triangle meshes back without using a huge amount of memory.
> It might be a better fit to OSG's architecture and VPB type applications?

If you're making terrain maybe, though that problem is really
conducive to breaking it down into blocks.  I'm not convinced you need
to go streaming there.  Seems to me that's more helpful for gigantic
laser scanned models and similar problems.

A lot of these packages don't do constraint edges so well.  That's a
fairly messy problem, actually.  But due to licensing restrictions I
haven't really looked at all the packages you mention.

GTS worked with just GNU lib, which wasn't too horrendous to compile.

-Steve Gifford