[osg-users] OpenGL 3.1 at GDC

Tueller, Shayne R Civ USAF AFMC 519 SMXS/MXDEC Shayne.Tueller at HILL.af.mil
Wed Mar 25 08:08:33 PDT 2009

Paul,

In what way has D3D screwed the existing user base with each new release?
I'm not trying to argue your point, I just want to understand where you're
coming from here.

-Shayne

-----Original Message-----
From: osg-users-bounces at lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-bounces at lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Paul Martz
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:31 AM
To: 'OpenSceneGraph Users'
Subject: Re: [osg-users] OpenGL 3.1 at GDC

> YES!!!!!!!!!!!! :)))))))))))))))
>
> but robert, thanks for your arguments! i will use them there. ;)
>
> best regards to all and other arguments are welcome too!

I agree with Robert's sentiment. In many ways, D3D has chosen the easy way
out -- supporting only one platform, and screwing the existing user base
with each new release. This is the easy way to develop an API. Running cross
platform, continuing to evolve and remain relevant, and not screwing
existing users is a much harder task, but OpenGL has a proven track record
of success in all these areas.