[osg-users] OpenGL 3.1 at GDC

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Wed Mar 25 07:58:22 PDT 2009

I'd like to attempt to dispel the myth that game development wouldn't
benefit from a stable cross platform API.

The application software stack is more complex than a single monolithic
chunk of code. Supporting any application or game title is a myriad of
internal proprietary core libraries, many of which are consistent from one
product release to the next, which in turn rely on support from other
external libraries and APIs. This internal proprietary code base needs to
port forward to new platforms and new releases of their supporting APIs.

When a game company puts out a new title, of course it contains a lot of new
software and rendering effects, but a significant percentage of the code
that's running was probably present in past product generations. Porting
this internal code forward takes a non-zero amount of effort.

Many games run on more that just Windows/Xbox and clearly the code for that
game title needs to be ported to other consoles.

I have several associates in the game industry who've assured me that code
does get ported forward and across platform. They've also relayed to me that
pay is often low and hours are long because there are so many who want to
work in this industry. I imagine that access to cheap programmer labor helps
alleviate the financial pain associated with porting code forward. One might
speculate that support for D3D is tantamount to advocating lower pay and
longer hours for software developers.

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC
http://www.skew-matrix.com