[osg-users] Proxy auto-config (PAC) support

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Tue Mar 24 20:08:49 PDT 2009

2009/3/24 Glenn Waldron <gwaldron at gmail.com>

> I have a customer who is trying to use OSG to access data through a PAC
> proxy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config). CURL does not
> support this directly, and the sense I get from the CURL community is that
> they don't plan to.
>
> Does it make sense to add PAC proxy support to the OSG CURL plugin? Yes,
> you could deal with PAC at the application level and set the CURL proxy
> based on the results ... this is what the CURL folks advocate ... the
> trade-off though is that sample apps like osgviewer will not be able to work
> in a PAC proxy environment.
>
> Just looking to get some opinions on the matter.

PAC requires javascript right?  You could make it so the curl plugin
optionally depends upon a javascript engine and if it's there it solves for
the proper proxy to use.

Ultimately though it's far easier just to have a human being read the PAC
file and say thou shalt export http_proxy="http://foo.internal.com:8080"
prior to running the OSG.

For servers that don't need the proxy server you can either configure the
proxy server to tell the client to access the server directly or you can use
the "no_proxy" environment variable which I believe libcurl respects.

If you have a situation where you have to switch between two different proxy
servers depending on the URL you are accessing clearly something is wrong
with your IT people at work... :)

--
Philip Lowman