[osg-users] Build Error on Windows

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:04:15 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Mark Sciabica <msciabica at itracs.com> wrote:

> We have not yet reached our first release so it's not yet an issue. However
> there's nothing secret about our changes as I've already posted them to the
> mailing list (and had them ignored or rejected).

If I don't merge them they you'll post the changes online.  The rules are
their to help your end customers as well as the community in general.

> Exception #2 of the license allows binary distribution of "works based on
> the Library" "under the user's own terms". I will encourage my employer to
> make our changes available to users if they request them, but it does not
> appear to be a requirement of the license of the core OSG.

This exception covers the distribution of your final application, not source
code modifications.  If you modify the source then those modifications must
be open sourced under the same licence as the orignal work - the LGPL parts
of the license cover this.

> Where do I configure the SO version number, and how does it restrict which
> plugins are loaded?

The plugins directory is number be the version.  If you bump the SO version
then there will always be bump of the version number.

> I don't think this addresses the general problem handling the coexistence
> of builds using different compiler versions or build options (e.g. different
> settings for OSG_USE_FLOAT_MATRIX). Should everyone use a different SO
> version number? Should we just accept that multiple installs of OSG may not
> work on a single machine?

If you have multiple installs then you shouldn't have a problem.  But if you
say you are installing it one place and then move it elsewhere and don't set
the paths explicitly and have version number and SO versions overlapping
then you may come across a problem.

To sum up if you make it really hard for yourself you can potentially come a
cropper.

> I can easily fix this problem for my build. I brought up this issue to try
> to help improve OSG for others. If you're convinced this is an acceptable
> design for handling plugin loading despite this issue, I will just leave it
> at that.

CMake is wonderful, why not just an CMake option into the
osgDB/CMakeLists.txt to toggle it on/off at your pleasure?

Robert/