[osg-users] Performing zooming and other navigations on geocentricvirtual earch?

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Tue Mar 24 07:36:15 PDT 2009

> > Zooming merely changes the field of view without changing the view
position.
> > Think of a photographer changing lenses on a camera without changing
> > his physical location. You change the projection matrix to change the
> > field of view, not the modelview matrix.
> >
> But that's *your* definition of zooming...

No, it's the computer graphics industry definition of "zoom", as defined by
Foley and Van Dam, the Real-Time Rendering book, and the OpenGL red book.
It's a word that has its root in photography, which shares the same
definition. Zooming magnifies an image; it does not affect the view
position.

Words mean things. Programming is a very precise activity and we should
select our words carefully when describing what we are trying to do. I would
be doing the OP a disservice if I did not correct his usage and inform him.

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC
http://www.skew-matrix.com
+1 303 859 9466