[osg-users] [Fwd: Mesa and gldirect]

Cory Riddell cory at codeware.com
Tue Mar 24 06:09:52 PDT 2009

J.P. Delport wrote:
> What always bothers me is the whole multiple window, multiple context
> thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought DirectX caters
> more for the single fullscreen 3D window case (games?). Is this not
> why CAD apps favour OpenGL? If DX can't do multiple windows/contexts
> nicely the wrapper won't be able to fix this. For specific cases the
> wrapper might be OK.

I don't believe multiple windows/contexts is a problem anymore (was it
ever?).

I think CAD apps traditionally favored OpenGL simply because of their
history. Way back (when SGI was relevant), the only place to get decent
graphics performance was on very expensive Unix workstations. These
days, the best performing graphics cards are for Windows and they are
relatively inexpensive. I think that's why some CAD packages are
dropping OpenGL support (Autodesk- I'm looking at you).

Cory