[osg-users] osgdepthpartition

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 08:02:11 PDT 2009

Hi Guy,

Personally I'd like change the osgdepthpartion example across to using a
series of viewer slave cameras, rather than in scene graph cameras.  In the
future I hope to add this support doing effects like stereo and depth
partition as an integral part of the osgViewer library (stereo is suppported
via the lower level SceneView right now) so that these effects can be
requsted via viewer configuration.  I have plenty of other tasks on my plate
right now so can't tackle these yet, but it's useful for you to know where
I'm going with this support.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Guy <guy at dvp.co.il> wrote:

>  In the depth partition example, the class DepthPartitionNode allows
> changing the render order of the camera to PRE/NESTED but then the
> calculation of the RenderBin leaves is incorrect.

  What is the logic for changing the cameras order?

You have to render the cameras from back to front so rendering order is
critical.

>   Besides I would like to know what are the disadvantages of using
> DepthPartitionNode in ALL osg based application? Does is have problems
> with HUDS or transparency?

The main problem is that your traversing the scene multiple times to cull
for each for cameras so CPU overhead is up and require extra buffer clears
and rendering so it impacts performance.  Depth partitioning is a niche
requirement, only essential in small subset of applications so is not
appropriate to add in by default.