[osg-users] OpenCL: democracy for GPU computing?

Paul Melis paul at science.uva.nl
Fri Mar 20 02:34:53 PDT 2009

Martin Beckett wrote:
> Following OpenGL3 I'm not holding my breath for a standard developed by Khronos.

It was actually developed by Apple, who submitted it to the Khronos
Group (although they probably fiddled with the original spec, of course).
> The bit about OpenCL not just being for GPUs but also for CPUs and Cell worries me - it sounds like a 'grand plan' - it supports manufacturers extentions so if you have an OpenCL app that needs Nvidia extentions why not just use Cuda?
> Finally are there any real competitors to Nvidia in this space? Are you about to run heavy weight physics simualtions on an embedded Intel chipset?

Would you rather be forced to always use NVidia's stuff through Cuda
than possibly have the option of using a different backend through OpenCL?
Only time will tell if there are going to be serious competitors, of
course...

Paul