[osg-users] OpenCL: democracy for GPU computing?

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 02:22:05 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Martin Beckett <mgb at mgbeckett.com> wrote:

> Following OpenGL3 I'm not holding my breath for a standard developed by
> Khronos.
> The bit about OpenCL not just being for GPUs but also for CPUs and Cell
> worries me - it sounds like a 'grand plan' - it supports manufacturers
> extentions so if you have an OpenCL app that needs Nvidia extentions why not
> just use Cuda?
> Finally are there any real competitors to Nvidia in this space? Are you
> about to run heavy weight physics simualtions on an embedded Intel chipset?

We'll have to see what happens with ATI's and Intel's OpenCL
implementation.  Supporting extensions/some code specifics is far better
than doing work having to do everything in completely proprietary API's as
more of your work will be reusable.

The OSG itself uses lots of OpenGL extensions but it hasn't become a great
problem for maintenance or development - the OSG still supports OpenGL 1.1
hardware as it does OpenGL 2.1 + extensions hardware.  This does suggest
that it won't be a show stopper that OpenCL has extensions and that we might
need to use them occassionally to get best out of particular hardware
platform.