[osg-users] OpenCL: democracy for GPU computing?

Martin Beckett mgb at mgbeckett.com
Thu Mar 19 21:57:20 PDT 2009

Following OpenGL3 I'm not holding my breath for a standard developed by Khronos.
The bit about OpenCL not just being for GPUs but also for CPUs and Cell worries me - it sounds like a 'grand plan' - it supports manufacturers extentions so if you have an OpenCL app that needs Nvidia extentions why not just use Cuda?
Finally are there any real competitors to Nvidia in this space? Are you about to run heavy weight physics simualtions on an embedded Intel chipset?

Read this topic online here: