[osg-users] Units in an IVE File

Paul Melis paul at science.uva.nl
Thu Mar 19 08:45:33 PDT 2009

Geoff wrote:
> I am having a little bit of an issue with some of my files. I have a
> database that is in FLT format. I can load it into my program, and it
> takes a while, but when I query the height at a given x,y location, I
> get the proper values.
>
> Now, i have taken this file and converted it using the osgconv.exe
> into an IVE file for better performance. This works well when loading
> it into my viewer, but when I try and query the height at a given x,y,
> the values I get back are erratic and not remotely close to what i am
> looking for.
>
> is there some way that the units in the ive could be getting messed up
> (or does it even have a notion of units) and if not, what do I need to
> do to make sure the number that I get returned is in Feet?

The openflight plugin seems to support a number of options related to
units and conversion (see below).
Perhaps osgconv -O noUnitsConversion file.flt file.ive is what you want...

Paul

 >osgconv --formats

[...]

Plugin /home/paul/osg2.6/lib/osgPlugins-2.6.1/osgdb_openflight.so
{
    ReaderWriter : FLT Reader/Writer
    {
        extensions : .flt                                    OpenFlight
format
        options    : billboardCenter                         Import option
        options    : clampToEdge                             Import option
        options    : convertToFeet                           Import option
        options    : convertToInches                         Import option
        options    : convertToKilometers                     Import option
        options    : convertToMeters                         Import option
        options    : convertToNauticalMiles                  Import option
        options    : dofAnimation                            Import option
        options    : keepExternalReferences                  Import option
        options    : lighting=<ON|OFF>                       Export
option: Specifies a default enable/disable state for lighting, for Nodes
in the exported scene graph that don't set it explicitly. By default,
the exporter assumes lighting is enabled (GL_LIGHTING ON). Set this to
either ON or OFF. Example: "lighting=OFF".
        options    : noTextureAlphaForTransparancyBinning    Import option
        options    : noUnitsConversion                       Import option
        options    : preserveFace                            Import option
        options    : preserveObject                          Import option
        options    : readObjectRecordData                    Import option
        options    : stripTextureFilePath                    Export
option: If present in the Options string, the exporter strips the path
from texture file names, and writes only the texture file name to the
FLT Texture Palette. By default, the exporter doesn't strip the path,
and the name written to the Texture Palette is taken directly from the
osg::Image object referenced by the osg::Texture2D StateAttribute.
        options    : tempDir=<dir>                           Export
option: Specifies the directory to use for creation of temporary files.
If not specified, the directory is taken from the file name. If the file
doesn't contain a path, the current working directory is used.
Applications should set this to the name of their app-specific temp
directory. If the path contains spaces, use double quotes to ensure
correct parsing. Examples: "tempDir=/tmp", "tempDir="C:\My Temp Dir".
        options    : units=<units>                           Export
option: Specifies the contents of the Units field of the OpenFliht
header record. Valid values include INCHES, FEET, METERS, KILOMETERS,
and NATICAL_MILES. Default is METERS. Example: "units=METERS".
        options    : validate                                Export
option: If present in the Options string, the plugin does not write an
OpenFlight file. Instead, it returns an indication of the scene graph's
suitability for OpenFlight export.
        options    : version=<ver>                           Export
option: Specifies the version of the output OpenFlight file. Supported
values include 15.7, 15.8, and 16.1. Default is 16.1. Example:
"version=15.8".
    }
    ReaderWriter : ATTR Image Attribute Reader/Writer
    {
        extensions : .attr   OpenFlight texture attribute format
    }
}