[osg-users] Forum users rare uses signatures, which is a pain tracking who's who

Paul Melis paul at science.uva.nl
Wed Mar 18 04:40:23 PDT 2009

Hi,

Art Tevs wrote:
> hmm, yes it seems there are no In-Reply-To header tag, when a message is sent through the forum. But I has never recieved any threading issue with the message, since my mail client is able to thread them by the subject. You are first who raised this issue ;), maybe your mail client has to be setted up properly,

Actually, I use thunderbird and have specifically disabled
threading-by-subject, as it simply does not work well enough and I have
too many other mailboxes besides OSG where threading-by-subject would
lead to incorrect results. I'm not going to enable it globally (and
there doesn't seem to be a way in thunderbird to enable
thread-by-subject for a single mailbox).  It happens quite frequently
that a new thread is started with a subject that matches an older
thread. With threading-by-subject the new messages will end up in the
existing (unrelated) thread and therefore in the wrong place. Using the
in-reply-to headers is the only reliable way to thread, although a few
heuristics could probably help here.

Paul