[osg-users] Forum users rare uses signatures, which is a pain tracking who's who

Art Tevs osgforum at tevs.eu
Tue Mar 17 13:32:10 PDT 2009

Hi Robert, all

> I wasn't thinking of this, rather I just meant for a group of maintainers, like yourself and I and others regular contributors to act as the approval system.  We'd recieve a post saying that someone has asked to be subscribed and when approve/disapprove/or make approval conditional on providing a more human readable user name,
>
> Could you have a admin webpage that lists those awaiting approval?

Ok, this is doable. I am currently working on this. However in order to do so, you, Robert, has also to be registered on the forum. I will then give you according permissions, so that you are able to see those users and also able to approve them.

> Perhaps making the duality of the forum/lists and the documenting the expected etiquette/code of conduct is required, along with existing members providing good examples of how to communicate the community, and if people are rude/awkward about following good etiquette we provide initially a gentle nudge about how one should write, then scale it up to removing subscription if they are destructive.  I've only had to remove 2 subscribers from the mailing list is not far off a decade so I don't it'll be a big issue.  Most people are quite good about making more of effort to fit in if asked in a appropriate way.

Ok, this is also doable, however one would need to continuosly moderate the forum/read all messages. Currently there is only me and Roland who are moderating the forum. If we could get some more volunteers  for checking the etiquette it would be great! This makes sure that there is always somebody who is able to moderate.

> Having better user names will certainly help, as a number of recent forum subscribers just have two letter user names which mean absolutely nothing in any language.  A decent user name gives us the chance of keeping track of who's who and who's said what, and who to reply to on different topics.

How about "Ed" ? No, this is not true. There are names with just 2 letters, maybe not in our european languages, but in other there are (chinese?) ;) And we could not force users to write there first and last name, because maybe they want to have some kind of anonymity, which has to be respected. However, I agree that names like "Xh" or maybe are not acceptable.

Art

Read this topic online here: