[osg-users] Forum users rare uses signatures, which is a pain tracking who's who

Paul Melis paul at science.uva.nl
Tue Mar 17 08:39:16 PDT 2009

Art Tevs wrote:
> Hi Robert, all.
>
> I think adding another approval system to let users approve that they have to follow some kind of etiquette  wouldn't have big success. Users would just click on  "Yes, I agree" as soon as they see that button. Hence, I am not sure if this is needed at all.
>
> [...]
>
> All this kind of forcing correct real name wouldn't however change the way how users are posting. I think there is even a difference in the way of posting between forum and mailing list users from the psychological point of view. eMail feels like they are slower and not editable and hence communication is get more informative. Forums are faster in use and postings could be edited and hence the discussion there becames often a chat like and therefor users forget to add signatures or even to say "Hello".

I definitely agree with this observation. Forums are more "chat-like".
> So, the problem of etiquette is hard to solve, because it depends only on the users. As for the using real names, I think I could write some kind of a system for the admins/moderators to manage users with non-informative real names.

As you say, the problem of etiquette is hard to solve and I don't think
much will change. I personally have more problems with folks that post
to the list (either directly or through the forum) and seem to demand an
immediate answer from somebody than with posts that don't have a
signature. The latter is more annoying when there's also no e-mail
address for that poster due to him/her posting through the forum.

Perhaps we should see the forum<->list gateway as an experiment and
shouldn't be afraid to sever the link when it turns out that the two
forms of community are not compatible enough...
> The problem with the email addresses used as sender's email (default osgforum at tevs.eu) is hard to solve without making some changes also to the mailing list itself, which is not doable for me. What I could try is to change email header in the way, so that it looks like it was sent from the mail of the user, however using default's forum email in the header. However, I am not sure how mailman (osg's mailing list software) would react on this, because this is actually a way how spammers handle.

Robert didn't mention this "problem" in his original mail and as such
might not have high priority. It was merely something I noticed and
occassionaly run into, but we've got to remember that this is not
something the forum users are responsible for. It's merely a technical
thingy due to the way the forum gateway works.

Regards,
Paul