[osg-users] Multithreading crash due to osgDb::Registry::instance()

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 02:06:51 PDT 2009

Hi Anthony,

I have avoided adding a mutex into the Registry::instance() method as it
would incur a cost for every call to it, and it's only the very first call
that it's an issue for so it's the only time you need to be careful about
access to it.

Given I don't want to introduce a mutex one then has to make sure the
instance() method is called up front in your app, and most OSG applications
will call it during the single thread init of the app, and in your case
you'll just need to call it explictly.   An alternative might be to have a
proxy class call the instance() method, or perhaps just have the viewer
constructor call instance() just in case.

Robert.