[osg-users] Forum users rare uses signatures, which is a pain tracking who's who

Paul Melis paul at science.uva.nl
Mon Mar 16 08:17:40 PDT 2009

Robert Osfield wrote:
> With the advent of forum.openscenegraph.org
> <http://forum.openscenegraph.org> developed ably by Art Tevs we have a
> great new avenue for users to choice whether they prefer forum or
> mailing list for support... which is great but... for mailing list
> users the posts from forum members have become rather impersonal, with
> all too cryptic usernames, something that can happen with emails too
> but is happening far more readily with forum members.   Once postings
> starting loose who they are from they also loose the self regulating
> and personal nature to them, and it makes bad tempered posts more
> likely, either at original source, or in response.
Another thing with the forum is that all senders have the same e-mail
(osgforum at tevs.eu), so in effect you can't send somebody a personal
reply without first lookup up their real e-mail address on the forum.
CC-ing them is also not possible. I assume the forum<->list gateway uses
the From: name to match up a post on the list with a user on the forum?

Paul