[osg-users] Can 3DS model in Parent-Child Mode be read inParent-Child mode?

Jason Daly jdaly at ist.ucf.edu
Fri Mar 13 12:50:32 PDT 2009

Ümit Uzun wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an model and this model has kind of parts. I am not a modeler
> so this question might be so stupid :) Before I have read the model
> and find all parts by nodeVisitor and recreate the scenegraph in
> parent-child mode and then I have manipulate all transformation in
> inheritance. I mean when I rotate some part, the other childs rotate too.
>
> But when I directly read 3DS model and not recreate the scene graph
> the parent-child relation doesn't exist on graph although I have
> already regenerate the model on 3DMAX in parent-child mode as you can
> see from the attached image.
>
> At this point, Can't we read 3ds model which organized parent-child
> mode directly and create our scene graph in this mode or not? I can't
> achieve this relation between model's parts.

I think 3ds is just a geometry format, and doesn't have support for
hierarchical models (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

Probably the best way to get what you need to get the OSGExp plugin for
3ds MAX, and export the model directly as a .ive file.

If you have the COLLADA-DOM set up for OSG, you could also try exporting
from 3ds MAX to a COLLADA (.dae) file.

--"J"