[osg-users] [3rdparty] osgCuda: Using CUDA in osg - Problem with Threading

Mick mick.svt at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 12 07:51:47 PDT 2009

Hi Robert.

Robert Osfield wrote:
> ...I'm curious about the name, osgPipe, why Pipe?  SGI used to use the
> name Pipe in the context of graphics hardware/graphics contexts...

Oh, we did not know... We chose the name "pipe" because the part which
runs on the GPU based on CUDA, for example, is organized more in a
pipeline structure than in a graph-structure.

Right now seems to be a good time to change the name to something else
since we didn't release it to the public so far.

What would you prefer? We suggest: osgGPP (general purpose processing)
It could also be the base for OpenCL. What do you think?

> If you have happy with what you've got already could you post the
> changed file to osg-submissions

Done - I already posted it to the osg-submissions list.

> Documentation vs coding... the later always wins in time to market :-)

:-)

Best regards,
Mick

--