[osg-users] [3rdparty] osgCuda: Using CUDA in osg - Problem with Threading

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 05:07:26 PDT 2009

Hi Mick,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Mick <mick.svt at googlemail.com> wrote:
> By the way: as I already mentioned in the first post the osgCuda ist based on a kit which we
> call osgPipe. In the near future it should not be too difficult to add OpenCL with the help of the
> community.

I'm curious about the name, osgPipe, why Pipe?  SGI used to use the
name Pipe in the context of graphics hardware/graphics contexts so I'd
be wary of reusing the the same name.

> Our approach using osg::Operation is quite robust. So far we did not recognize any drawbacks or
> a lack of stability. We evaluated different approaches to give the GraphicsThread the chance to clean
> up its resources.
> The easiest and simplest way is to call OperationThread::_operationQueue->releaseAllOperations()
> right before the thread stops. It is just the one new line in GraphicsThread::run() - please see the code below
> (in GraphicsThread.cpp):

If you have happy with what you've got already could you post the
changed file to osg-submissions.  As long as there is no side effects
we should be able to merge it with svn/trunk as well as the OSG-2.8
branch as it shouldn't effect the ABI.

> osgCuda is already in a good shape and needs to be tested by the community but there is some documentation work left.

Documentation vs coding... the later always wins in time to market :-)