[osg-users] cast ray into scene

Sukender suky0001 at free.fr
Wed Mar 11 02:45:46 PDT 2009

Hi Ben,

In my engine, I got a method that takes a View and an optional NodePath. Notes:
  - I created an invisible plane so that I can test against that plane.
  - pointerX and pointerY are class members (you may refactor so that it suits your needs).
  - Here my method assumes there is at most one intersection (see the ASSERT()).
  - setPickPosition() is a method that stores the result (= the intersection/pick position).

void computePickPos(osgViewer::View & view, osg::NodePath * pPickNodePath = NULL) {
	if (pPickNodePath && pPickNodePath->empty()) return;
	osgUtil::LineSegmentIntersector::Intersections intersections;
	bool intersected;
	if (pPickNodePath) intersected = view.computeIntersections(pointerX, pointerY, *pPickNodePath, intersections);
	else intersected = view.computeIntersections(pointerX, pointerY, intersections);
	if (intersected)
	{
		ASSERT(intersections.size() <= 1);
		if (intersections.size()>0) setPickPosition(intersections.begin()->getWorldIntersectPoint());
	}
}

Hope it helps.

Sukender