[osg-users] easy question on Object::setDataVariance()

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 09:50:02 PDT 2009

Hi Cory,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Cory Riddell <cory at codeware.com> wrote:
> If my app only modifies the scene graph in an update callback, is it
> still necessary to set the data variance to DYNAMIC on the nodes that
> may change?

It's only required for Drawables and StateSet's, changes to Nodes
don't make it into the draw traversal so aren't affected by the
requirement to set the DataVariance to DYNAMIC that the
DrawThreadPerContext threading model requires.

If you plan using the osgUtil::Optimizer on your data then the
DataVaraince value is used as a hint about what can safely be
optimized and what can't be, for instance a DYNAMIC transform node
can't be optimized away.  This is unlikely to be an issue for in frame
updates.