[osg-users] How do I access the Z-Buffer content from the last render pass

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Mon Mar 9 06:58:43 PDT 2009

Hi Robert,

> You'll need to render the scene to a FBO with texture attached to as
> the depth buffer, then reuse this texture in the second pass.

Just to add specifics to Daniel's question, in case the approach is not
right and you can suggest something else.

We want to render something in screen space (from a previous offscreen
render pass) onto a screen-aligned quad over the results of the main
render pass (the scene), and we know the depth of every given pixel in
the previous render pass. The desired effect is that even though the
screen-aligned quad is close to the camera, a given pixel should not be
rendered if its depth is greater than something else that's already in
the frame buffer.

So yes, we could assign the main pass's depth render target to a texture
and use that in the post-render pass, but would there be a better way?

Perhaps a better strategy would be to render the screen-aligned quad
first, before the rest of the scene, setting the fragment depth to the
appropriate value there? Then the main render pass would just do the
normal z-buffer test using the value we set before, since we clear
neither the color buffer nor the depth buffer between those two passes.
Since the screen-aligned quad's contents don't (currently) have
transparency, that would work.

Thanks in advance,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com