[osg-users] Configuring OSG for stereo

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 03:53:30 PDT 2009

Hi Eric,

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 3:25 AM, Eric Heft <osgforum at tevs.eu> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> I converted all the measurements to meters. As I suspected there were no changes since the units should fall out of the calculations.

Only if you have all coords in the same units, model and screen
parameters.  Most models are in meters, the OSG defaults are all in
meters so if you want things to work out the box it's best to stick to
meters otherwise if you miss one parameter you can get a mixture of
units.

> So the question remains. What controls the depth plane?

Um.... another ambiguous set of language....  do you mean the
convergence/parallax distance?

> If I use the trackball manipulator and press space the depth plane is set to the center of the objects volume so next week I'll look into what it is doing.

The trackball manipulator tells the viewer to scale the interoccular
distance by the distance between the eye point and the center of
rotation of the trackball.  This mode allows you to view molecules up
to planets without having to dynamically manage the interoccular
distance yourself.  The FusionDistance is the name given to the
distance between the eye point and center of rotation/pont at which
the left and right eye views overlap (which is the image plane of the
display system), in hindsight parallax distance would have been a
better name...