[osg-users] osgViewer::GraphicsWindowWin32 stack overflow crash

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Wed Mar 4 11:54:32 PST 2009

Hello Peter,

> Well, the reason why I was ask if this is a bug is that I don't quite
> understand how it could possibly work correctly for the case that the
> native window is not "owned" by GraphicsWindowWin32.

Well, it does, because we use GraphicsWindowWin32 integrated into a Qt
application, so the graphics window gets a Qt widget's HWND in order to
draw inside that widget (in which case the Qt GUI owns the window), and
it works great for us. I think others are doing the same thing (from
previous discussions on the mailing list), so it's probably more
frequent than you think.

I'm not sure how a Windows Forms application would be different, but we
don't get any stack overflow resulting from an infinite loop as you are.

Perhaps you could download Qt, and then set up your OSG build so that it
builds the osgViewerQT example. This would allow you to compare the two
situations directly. To get a situation similar to our own, you need to
start it like this:

    osgviewerQT --QOSGWidget

That builds a GraphicsWindowWin32 passing in an HWND to a QWidget.

I'm sorry I can't help more. I have no experience with Windows Forms at
all...

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/