[osg-users] ffmpeg plugin on OS X / DarwinPorts

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 05:31:02 PST 2009

Hi Ulrich,

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Ulrich Hertlein <u.hertlein at sandbox.de> wrote:
> On 4/3/09 11:10 PM, Robert Osfield wrote:
>>
>> Great news.  I'll go have a look at the inversion issue.

I've now fixed this problem in osgDB - the --movie parsing code now
honours the Origin of the ImageStream.

>> What happens when you run:
>>
>> osgmovie -e ffmpeg aliensong.mpg
>
> It's right-side up and playing nicely.
> (The aspect ratio isn't always right and lots of 'Using sws_scale' messages
> but that's not a plugin problem.)

By default the plugin is making the movie quad fill the full screen
regardless of source aspect ratio.  I'll fix it so it maintains the
aspect ratio, and change the background to black to make it less
jaring.

If you add --interactive the aspect ratio should be correct.

>> However I am getting a black band on the right hand side of the image
>> when swscale code path is used and poorer visual quality.
>
> I don't get black bands (maybe line padding?) and the quality looks good,
> even for HD resolution (well, 720p).

I changed the using a GPL'd version of ffmpeg and the visual quality
got better, I still get the black bands though...

> (Man, that puts me back 10yr or so playing with DIVO and Performer, playing
> back video over six pipes :-D

Video and 3D really hasn't moved on too much over the past decade...
The SGI media libraries were a great asset but it all came to little
with OpenML never becoming a bit of non entity :-|