[osg-users] Loading movie

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 01:57:09 PST 2009

HI Carlos,

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Carlos Sanches <cesmsp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys how can I use this plugin ?  What that I have to do to install it ?

The ffmpeg is now checked into svn/trunk, but it's still very much in
development.  Currently it reads video streams but no audio.  Consider
it bleeding edge development.

I'm pretty optimistic about the prospects, ffmpeg is a bit of an odd
beast in terms of the way the project is managed + distributed, but it
is very portable and supports a wide range of formats and looks to be
much cleaner to work with than either xine-lib or Quicktime.  My hope
is that we'll be able to standardise of the ffmpeg plugin and
deprecate the previous Quicktime and xine-lib plugins, but first will
need to get it up to feature equality with these plugins.

To achieve feature equality we'll need to make sure that we have audio
and live video stream support in place, and make sure that we can
build across all the main platforms.   Audio should be supported this
week, then hopefully we'll be able to add live not long after.