[osg-users] New ffmpeg plugin checked into svn/trunk

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 00:38:19 PST 2009

Hi Sukender & Jason,

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Jason Daly <jdaly at ist.ucf.edu> wrote:
> I wouldn't be embarassed.  I think the issue is just that using osgAL for
> the ffmpeg plugin would be like attacking a flea with a sledge hammer
> (overkill  :-) ).
>
> When osgAudio (or whatever osgAL eventually becomes) is done and part of the
> core, I imagine this little plugin will no longer be necessary.

This is basically my thoughts on looking at OpenAL rather than osgAL,
it's not to get a full blown 3D audio solution like osgAL, but just a
cross platform way of playing the audio from a movie.

Once we have an osgAudio integrated with core OSG then we'll way to
make sure we have the option audio streams from a movie can be placed
in the 3D world like everything else, so the AudioStream that ffmpeg
plugin provides would need to be evolved in conjunction with osgAudio
to allow them to be placed in the scene like other audio sources.