[osg-users] New ffmpeg plugin checked into svn/trunk

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 09:29:55 PST 2009

Hi Jason,

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Jason Daly <jdaly at ist.ucf.edu> wrote:
> I think most of osgAL would be superfluous here.  We don't need
> spatialization or decoding.  The only thing we'd use is the interface to the
> audio hardware.  I guess the question becomes whether it is worth it to use
> osgAL (which uses OpenAL++, which in turn uses OpenAL), or whether it would
> be better to just write an OpenAL implementation for AudioSink and make it a
> plugin (much like the freetype plugin is a concrete implementation of
> osgText::Font::FontImplementation).

I was thinking that an OpenAL plugin would be doable, and could either
return an audio sink or an AudioStream.

Going the OpenAL route would also pave the way for an osgAudio
library, as the OpenAL dependency wouldn't change as one migrated
osgAudio into the core.  Go for another audio solution and one would
have a more complicated evolution of external dependencies.

I'm going to experiment with OpenAL at this end how things go.