[osg-users] New ffmpeg plugin checked into svn/trunk

Jason Daly jdaly at ist.ucf.edu
Mon Mar 2 09:13:08 PST 2009

Robert Osfield wrote:
> Hi Sukender,
>
> The needs for the providing audio for movies read by the ffmpeg is
> that we have a AudioSink implementation that can pull the data from
> osg::AudioStream and play it.  We don't need a scene graph node, or
> reading support for the ffmpeg plugin as it stands.  I'm basically
> working to get the present plugin up to feature competitive for first
> the xine-lib plugin and later hopefully the quicktime plugin.
>
> FYI, the ffmpeg has ogg support available - in fact I'm just download
> a .ogg movie for testing.  I would be not be surprised if we could get
> it handle the audio reading as well.

In my experience, ffmpeg will decode just about anything you throw at
it.  It shouldn't even break a sweat on a Vorbis stream.

I think most of osgAL would be superfluous here.  We don't need
spatialization or decoding.  The only thing we'd use is the interface to
the audio hardware.  I guess the question becomes whether it is worth it
to use osgAL (which uses OpenAL++, which in turn uses OpenAL), or
whether it would be better to just write an OpenAL implementation for
AudioSink and make it a plugin (much like the freetype plugin is a
concrete implementation of osgText::Font::FontImplementation).

--"J"