[osg-users] OpenGL and OSG advocacy

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 01:29:36 PST 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Sukender <suky0001 at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone heard about SPECgpc? If not: http://www.specbench.org/gwpg/gpc.static/overview.html
> Could it be something to dive into for benchmarks using OpenGL/OSG?

The SPEC benchmarks for OpenGL have been around for a very long time.
As far as I know they capture the OpenGL calls for certain types of
apps then replay this stream of calls+data at OpenGL to provide a pure
benchmark un-encombard by CPU overhead.  To include the OSG in the mix
would break this convention, but perhaps they might be open to this.

I think we need to come up with our own set of benchmarks, we might be
able to make them compatible with the way that the SPEC ones are done,
or perhaps similar to the way that other benchmarking tools generate
output.  We'd want to make it easy to pull down and install the tests,
easy to run them, then easy to get and present the results.

I haven't ever dived into package performance tests like this before,
so am open to suggestions.