[osg-users] [Fwd: Mesa and gldirect]

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Mon Mar 23 11:13:03 PDT 2009

Hi all,

About the recent discussion about trying to make a wrapper around OpenGL
that would forward calls to Direct3D, in a recent post I said I had
found info about SciTech's GLDirect, which was open sourced and
integrated into the Mesa code repository.

Well, recently Pat Wood (who is not a subscriber to this list but got
wind of my searching) sent along this info. (see below for the full message)

I think the GLDirect code is pretty much dead in the Mesa code
repository - it doesn't seem to be kept up to date and there are
probably some improvements that could be made to make it perform better.
I wonder if we could put together a working group of OSG users that
could take over the code, get it to work and update it so it could at
least give us an idea of what such a wrapper would look like and how it
would perform on modern machines and graphics cards.

Is there any interest in such a working group? I've never done driver
development myself (apart from a little thing that would control an ADC
and stepper motor through the parallel port back in the DOS days) but
I'd be happy to lend a hand if there's something I can help with. We'd
need some more knowledgeable people if we want this to take off.

Thoughts?

J-S

----- Forwarded message from Pat Wood <Pat.Wood at efi.com> -----