[osg-users] Forum users rare uses signatures, which is a pain tracking who's who

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:13:12 PDT 2009

Hi All,

With the advent of forum.openscenegraph.org developed ably by Art Tevs we
have a great new avenue for users to choice whether they prefer forum or
mailing list for support... which is great but... for mailing list users the
posts from forum members have become rather impersonal, with all too cryptic
usernames, something that can happen with emails too but is happening far
more readily with forum members.   Once postings starting loose who they are
from they also loose the self regulating and personal nature to them, and it
makes bad tempered posts more likely, either at original source, or in
response.

Making the effort to make your posts more personable and friendly is a great
help to general health of the community, signing posts might seem like a
small thing, but it really doesn't make a huge difference - it's a big step
to making exchanges friendly and positive.  Dozens of times of the last
month I've have to ask users to make this tiny little bit of effort, but
with more forum users this is becoming a uphill struggle.

Might there be a technical solution to this?  Does the forum software have
the data to properly sign emails, or to put a proper name in the address?
Either way a solution of some kind really needs to be found.  In the
meantime I can enforce my own little mechanism of just ignoring all posts
with a cryptic author name... so if you want support you'll need to make the
effort to be curtious.

Thanks in advance for all your friendly signatures ;-)