[osg-users] GLDirect - OpenGL on top of Direct3D

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Wed Mar 11 06:39:58 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I was downloading Mesa today to see how some things were implemented
(out of curiosity) and saw a "gldirect" directory containing dx7, dx8
and dx9 subdirectories... I looked up the name "gldirect" and turns out
it's a product that enabled OpenGL apps to run on DirectX, based on
Mesa, and was open sourced and integrated into the Mesa repositories at
some point.

http://osdir.com/ml/video.mesa3d.announce/2008-01/msg00000.html

We were talking about this lately, and Robert was wondering if it might
be possible that an OpenGL wrapper to DirectX might circumvent bugs in
the OpenGL drivers on Windows. Has anyone ever used GLDirect? How does
it perform, and what features does it support? Since it's Mesa-based,
and Mesa 7.x supports OpenGL 2.1, but I wonder if/how it wraps GLSL
shaders and such things... Or perhaps it hasn't been updated since it
was open sourced... I don't know.

Anyways, I thought it would be interesting to investigate this. I might
try to compile it when I have some free time.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org/