[osg-users] Matrix decompose and non-uniform scaling

Riccardo Corsi riccardo.corsi at vrmmp.it
Wed Mar 11 04:36:49 PDT 2009

Hi All,

there have been no replies to this thread,
but I have found exactly the same problem here.
In particular it appears only when scale components "x" and "y" are
equivalent, and (on our boxes, running WinXP) only in release compiled
code - the debug version works correctly!!

I don't know the theory of how to apply the scale orientation in the
correct way either, but heuristically I've found that, if you build a
rotation matrix from the quaternion, and you ignore its signs, you can
find the original scale vector by multiplying:

// scaleOrientMat.set(scaleOrientQuat)
origScaleVec = decompScaleVec * ABS( scaleOrientMatrix)

Is this something expected or there's a bug somewhere?
Thanks,

Ricky