[osg-users] importing shaders

Julia Guo osgforum at tevs.eu
Mon Mar 9 21:35:30 PDT 2009

I have a model made in 3DS with textures and shaders and I would like to use it within OSG. When I try displaying it with osgviewer.exe the textures are rendered but not the shaders.

I know shaders are algorithms, so perhaps they are not exported with the model.
Or 3DS may be using a DirectX shader while OSG is OpenGL based.
Am I on the right track??

Is there a way to design models with shaders and import them into OSG?
Or do I need to manually attach my shaders with osg::Shader (which would make models harder to design)?

Julia

(P.S. - in learning OSG I found the examples extremely useful, but I feel many have been over engineered so that they obscure their purpose. For instance many of the examples have a flag to use a Composite Viewer instead of the default Viewer. I think it would be ideal for beginners if the examples were stripped down to focus on their core functionality.)

Read this topic online here: