[osg-users] Are billboard capable of casting shadows?

Alan Dickinson osgforum at tevs.eu
Thu Mar 5 12:16:27 PST 2009

I have been working with the osgshadow example using the lz.osg input file and noticed that the tree billboards aren't casting shadows. So my question is are billboards capable of casting shadows with the osgShadow implementation or would it have to be modified to make them capable of casting and receiving shadows? If the current implementation isn't capable of supporting billboards, could this be added to the current architecture or is there some re-design required.

BTW: I have created a Visitor for dividing a billboard into spatial cells as in the example osgforest. Would this be useful as an optimization class for anyone else?

Thanks for your support in advanced.

Alan Dickinson

Read this topic online here: