[osg-users] [OS X] Request for testing the new Cocoa backend + imageio-plugin

Stephan Maximilian Huber ratzfatz at digitalmind.de
Wed Mar 4 07:09:57 PST 2009

Hi all,

I've finished the coding of the new Cocoa backend for osgViewer and I
integrated the imageio-plugin from E.Wing into CMake / the XCode-project.

I did some tests but as of my limited ressources I can't test every
combination of hardware etc. So please if you have some spare-time and
an OS X machine can you please test the new code? Thanks!

*Here's how to get the new code:*

svn checkout
http://www.openscenegraph.org/svn/osg/OpenSceneGraph/branches/osg-cocoa-dev

or if you already have svn trunk on your computer

svn switch
http://www.openscenegraph.org/svn/osg/OpenSceneGraph/branches/osg-cocoa-dev

start CMake and change the following two options:

OSG_WINDOWING_SYSTEM = Cocoa (X11, Carbon, and Cocoa available)
OSG_DEFAULT_IMAGE_PLUGIN_FOR_OSX = imageio (imageio + quicktime available)

If you want to compile for 64bit, be sure to change
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES to "ppc;i386;ppc64;x86_64", (the carbon backend
and quicktime are not compatible with 64bit, and get not compiled even
when enabled!)

create your project files, compile and test against your application /
environment.

If you want to use the depecated os x project then be sure to define the
follwing flags for the project:

USE_DARWIN_COCOA_IMPLEMENTATION (for cocoa backend)
USE_DARWIN_CARBON_IMPLEMENTATION (for carbon backend)

for osgDB:
DARWIN_IMAGEIO (imagio as default image-plugin)
DARWIN_QUICKTIME (quicktime as default image-plugin)

*What's missing, not tested:*

+ I don't know if all tablet-events are handled well, because my tablet
does not support all available events (rotation + tilt)

+ if you resize a window you'll get some artifacts while resizing, I
don't know how to fix this, I tried some approaches but nothing good came up

+ switching from fullscreen to windowed mode and vice versa works only
for the main-screen reliably (this affects also the carbon backend). See
my other post regarding this issue.

#scroll-wheel-events are not tested that well.

SO, I hope no major problems arise, and we can merge the staff with
trunk the next days.

cheers,
Stephan